Saturday, January 31, 2009

GFIGHT in Indiana

I GOT A FIGHT!

I GOT A FIGHT!!!

I finally got a fight!!! I put my hat in the ring for a desperate call out for a 115 pound fighter for gfight in Indiana on January 17th. Since my pro license is just getting processed, I didn't think I would qualify yet. Jeff, the event coordinator, assured me that I would be able to fight. That took a lot of reassuring, because, Lord knows, I don't want to go all the way to Indiana and not be able to fight. He set me and my husband up with flights and rooms.

I was thrilled, to say the least! I've been trying to get a fight for around a year. Here's the catch.... it's old school elimination fights. I fight the first girl for 3 three minute rounds. If I win, I fight the next girl for 3 three minute rounds. If I win THAT one, I fight for the belt for 3 FIVE MINUTE ROUNDS!!! This will be all in a row- bam, bam, bam! Do you understand how hard it is to fight for FIVE minutes? Try sprinting for 5 minutes with someone on your back and you might get a slight understanding. I'm ready for it, though. I've been training for 5 minute rounds. I've just never had 3 fights in a row. Should be VERY interesting!

Now for the really hard part. I have been trying to gain weight for several months because it seemed like all the good fighters are at 135 pounds. Luckily, I haven't been too successful. I sit before you at a mighty 125 pounds. These fights are at 115 pounds. This means I have to do terrible things to myself in order to lose 10 pounds by Friday's weigh in. I'll spare you the details because I certainly don't want to encourage an anyone to lose weight like a wrestler- it's not healthy and can be dangerous. 10 pounds for me, though, not dangerous- I've got the muffin top going on. Hopefully, that will be the first to go- I haven't seen my six pack in years. Wonder what it looks like?

I'm ecstatic! I can't wait to tap leather and go at it! It's what I've been waiting for! My poor husband, on the other hand, is as nervous as a mother hen. He keeps asking, "Are you SURE you can lose the weight?" (Of couse I can- I used to lose 12 pounds in 2 days when I wrestled for Chico State.) He says, "Is there going to be anyone else who can corner you?" (Debi is trying to fly out to help). I assure him that he can corner me. I just need someone to feed me water and yell at me to whip her butt. He is more than qualified (he's pretty loud).

Anyhow- I have to go get some wind sprints in and do some light sparring to get ready for this. Wish me luck!

No comments: