Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Girls- MMA's future superstars!

MY GIRLS- THE FUTURE OF MMA

Once upon a time, way back in the early 90's, there were 2 female kick boxers (that would be me and Debi). I say only 2 because back then, female fighters were very rare indeed. We had to travel far and wide to find other females to train with. We even went as far as Bakersfield to train with Kathy Long (a legend in kickboxing).
I was always asking other female athletes to come give fighting a try- adding that it was a phenomenal workout both for the aerobic and the strengthening benefits. Still, very rarely would I get any women to come try it. Most looked at me like I was crazy.
So, fast forward to the present. Something wonderful has happened! Females are more adventurous and more open to trying new methods of training and working out. I currently have at least 8 girls (all in high school) who are very active in my Fight Club!
Some nights, it's almost all females upstairs. It makes my heart swell with pride! These aren't just your aerobicizing females either. These are hard hitting, hard throwing girls that mean business. They are there to learn all aspects of fighting. At least 3 of them want to compete in boxing now and MMA when they turn 18 (you have to be at least 18 to fight MMA in California).
I used to think that maybe Debi and I were weird- perhaps a little bit violent. We like to beat people up. We don't mind getting bloody. A black eye, to us, is like a beautiful make over- a badge of honor (although 2 black eyes makes you look lame- like you don't know how to keep your hands up).
Now I realize that a lot of females have the same desire to step into the ring and throw down. A lot of females like to test their skills against each other. A lot of females don't mind getting a fat lip (you don't need collagen injections- come to Fight Club- we'll give you that bee stung look).
Remember those old Virginia Slims commercials? You've come a long way, baby! Well, they were dumb because they encouraged women to smoke. But I'd like to swipe that slogan just for today. Ladies, be proud- you really have come a long way!

No comments: